Tuesday, August 1, 2017

August 2017

Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
Welcome to Kindergarten! I am eager to embark on our new journey together this year. Let me begin by telling you a little about myself.  This past summer we were blessed with a handsome son named Jack!  I will be out on maternity leave for the first trimester, but look forward to meeting everyone at Smart Start and when I return in November.  I grew up in South Burlington, VT and graduated from St. Michael’s College.  I taught in Barre as a kindergarten teacher for five years before coming to Porters Point two years ago.  These experiences have provided me with many great ideas to share with you and your child.  I am also an avid sports fan.  Your child will most certainly hear about my love of field hockey, football and ice hockey! I enjoy being active, devoting much of my time to running, playing in adult field hockey leagues and keeping up with my 3 year old golden retriever!
Kindergarten students will begin the school year at various academic and social levels.  My goal is to see each of them achieve individual success in terms of academic growth, self-confidence and improved social skills.  Good communication between parents, teachers and students are crucial and equally important for your child’s growth.  I will conduct my classroom by the Responsive Classroom approach.  In short, this simply means that I will be focusing on the significance of building a community and teaching students how to take responsibility in the classroom.
For the first day of school, students can choose to bring a lunch and snack or they can receive it through the school. Students will be supplied with pencils, markers, crayons, glue, etc.  If you would like to send your child in with anything to add to our classroom collection, it would be greatly appreciated! I have attached a list of possible items that would be useful in our classroom.
Be on the look out for weekly newsletters on the classroom blog that explain what we are doing in the classroom.  If there are other important notices, they will be sent home in their Home Folder that will provide all handouts and any communication from the school.  These folders should be returned to school each day.  
I look forward to a great year and seeing you at our Open House!
Sincerely,
Kelly Ryan     


                     
Parents are always asking for ways to help out.  Here are some items that would be VERY helpful additions to our room!
Thank you!!
o   No. 2 Pencils
o   Markers
o   Tissues
o   Wipes
o   Band aids
o   Nut free snacks
o   Disinfecting Wipes (such as Clorox)
o   Hand Sanitizer
o   Arts and Crafts Supplies
o   Gently used books


1 comment:

  1. I am so excited Oona will be in your classroom!!! She can't wait for school to start!

    ReplyDelete